Junior League of Mobile (JLM) is an organization of women committed to promoting voluntarism, developing the potential of women, and improving communities through the effective action and leadership of trained volunteers. Its purpose is exclusively educational and charitable.
Junior League of Mobile gives time and money to support 24 programs with 12 charitable agencies in the Mobile area. The organization’s economic impact is about $1 million annually, combined in funds invested in the community and the value of its volunteer hours as calculated using Points of Light Foundation metrics. Within the member selected impact areas of children and education, JLM is addressing seven areas of need in our community: literacy, special needs, school readiness, healthy communities, arts education, job readiness, and at-risk youth. In addition, JLM trains volunteers to become community and civic leaders through service and voluntarism.
Interesting Facts about The Junior League of Mobile:
- Is a diverse group of approximately 1,600 volunteering women
- Has served the South Alabama community for more than 84 years
- Actively partners with more than 16 additional not-for-profit organizations; offering programming and services unique to our community
- Current focus areas: Healthy Children: Hunger, Nutrition and Fitness – involving more than 35 projects community-wide.
- 40,000 volunteer service hours per year reaching over 25,000 women, men and children
- Will donate more than $1.3 million in volunteer time and direct financial support to the Mobile/Baldwin area
Is funded through the primary support of our members and our fundraisers: Christmas Jubilee (our holiday market), BluePass (our shopping pass), Jubilee Bargains (our annual rummage sale), Endowment Fund, Donor Development (sponsorships and donations) and Grant Writing.
- Ranked fifteenth largest Junior League in the World
- Is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization
- The Association of Junior Leagues International (our umbrella agency) has 160,000 women in 293 leagues in countries all over the world