Community Action Team
Do you have a community special project that can be accomplished in a day or weekend? Our Community Action Team will assist with short term, intensive community projects that are completed in a single day or weekend. JLM will offer assistance to nonprofit organizations on projects that fit within our focus areas of parenting, arts and culture, education, and women’s issues. Once accepted, JLM will provide trained volunteers and funding to accomplish the project. The special project cannot be part of a fundraising event. Requests may include assistance for volunteers with funding or volunteers only. Requests for funding only will not be accepted. Contact Community Action Team Chair and complete our Project Request form.
Past Community Action Team Projects
2009 - 2010
- The Exchange Club Family Center of Mobile
- Family Promise of Coastal Alabama
- Mobile and Baldwin County
- St. Mary ‘s Home
- Assisted Mobile Public Library with Summer Reading Kick Off activities
- Implemented toy drive for the holidays for children
- Implemented Hands Across the Bay
2008 - 2009
- Toy Drive for Penelope House, Family Promise of Baldwin County, Interfaith Hospitality Network (Family Promise of Mobile), and Dearborn YMCA.
- Participated in the Dearborn YMCA Breakfast with Santa event by distributing toys to children.
- Assisted with the Mobile Public Library Summer Reading Kick-Off and Closing Event by face painting, helping with games and distributing prizes.
2007 - 2008
- JLM hosted its first annual Hands Across Mobile Day on Saturday, April 5, 2008. This one-day event gave JLM a hands-on opportunity to promote volunteerism and improve our community through effective action. The event provided volunteer opportunities at our partner agencies in the community. We participated in such projects as painting, cleaning closets, cleaning playgrounds, gardening, and other short-term type projects.
- JLM Holiday Gift Drive
- 2nd Annual JLM/AJM Day of Caring
- Assisted the Mobile Public Library with the grand opening of the Ben May Main Library
- Participated in the Mobile Public Library's Summer Reading Kick-Off and Finale activities
- Assisted the Downtown Mobile Alliance with the Downtown Living Tour
2006 - 2007
- JLM hosted the first annual JLM/America’s Junior Miss Day of Caring. This one-day event gives the AJM ladies an opportunity to volunteer in the community through a variety of JLM volunteer opportunities, including United Cerebral Palsy Camp Smile, Habitat for Humanity, and Dearborn YMCA.
2005 - 2006
- JLM assisted with two community bricks and mortar projects to commemorate JLM’s 75th Anniversary. The committee chose to serve two of JLM legacy projects, United Cerebral Palsy and Preschool for the Sensory Impaired. JLM provided and installed a wheelchair accessible playhouse and planted flowers in its window boxes for the United Cerebral Palsy Center playground. Next, JLM developed and planted a sensory garden and picnic area that was in need of updating.
Thank you for your consideration and helping us all improve our community through effective action.
We look forward to reviewing your request for Community Action Team project.