Community Assistance Fund
Over 600 active Junior League of Mobile (JLM) volunteers work together to build a better community for women, children and families of South Alabama. It is our mission to develop the potential of women, promote volunteerism and improve our community through effective action.
While JLM places primary importance upon providing volunteers, we also recognize that there are financial needs in our community that do not call for volunteer involvement. JLM maintains a Community Assistance Fund (CAF) to allow JLM the ability to respond financially to needs and opportunities within JLM impact areas of children and education.
- AIDS Alabama South
- Arthritis Foundation
- The Joseph Project at Ashland Place UMC
- Mercy Medical
- Under His Wings, Inc
What does JLM look for in a Community Assistance Fund project?
- Funds may only be granted to non-profit, tax exempt
organizations having proof of 501(c)3 authorization, schools that have
public school status, or religious agencies which benefit the general
- All grants must be for programs/funding that is
consistent with the mission and focus of JLM. Our current focus area is
children and education.
- Organization has not received CAF monies within the
past 24 months.
- JLM partner agencies that receive JLM volunteers and/or
programming funds are not eligible for CAF funds.
CAF Fund specifications are as follows:
- Applications for funding should be submitted to the CAF chairperson.
- Applications must be submitted on the approved form.
- The Committee chair or a designee will investigate all requests, making an on-site visit when appropriate.
- Records will be kept of all the grants and reports.
- Requests will not be considered for: fundraising drives, staff salaries, capital campaigns, political campaigns, sectarian religious projects, scholarships, tuition, research, endowments, agency/non-agency individuals or agencies currently involved in a financial or project commitment with JLM.
- All applicants will be notified of the outcome. The CAF chairperson will request to make awards at board meetings, when possible.
Request for funding is appropriate based on its meeting one or more of the following criteria:
- Addresses a critical or basic need.
- Funds a pilot program.
- Expands or provides a significant service to the community.
- Addresses the possible disruption of a program or service.
- Organization has an unforeseen need not covered by its budget or present financial resources.
Applications Due to JLM- Oct 31, 2013 at noon
Notify Winners- Dec. 14, 2013
Note: additional information is required for evaluation of assistance request:
1. A copy of your agency’s IRS letter of determination of tax-exempt status.
2. Fiscal year-end balance sheet and income statement.
3. Program budget (revenues and expenditures by line item).
4. Other sources of projected income.
5. If applicable, proof of public school status.
Please email your additional information to firstname.lastname@example.org or mail to the address below:
Community Assistance Fund Chair
Relya G. Mallory
Junior League of Mobile
57 North Sage Avenue
Mobile, AL. 36607
The CAF or a portion of the CAF may be reserved by JLM in the event of a disaster where emergency/recovery funds may be needed. CAF grants are small amounts of money usually in the $1,000-$4,000 range. There are limited funds available each year.
If you have any questions regarding the parameters of the fund, email the Community Assistance Fund Chair.
We are so thankful to be in a position to help those of you who are committed to improving our community. This special fund is just one way to say thank you for all you do. It will be our gift to you that will multiply through your good deeds for others.